Public vs Private TransportMarch 11, 2016
We’re lucky to live in a world where transport options are varied and plentiful for most areas, but it often comes down to this: public vs private transport. While we have the option to pick and choose, there are definite advantages and disadvantages to all types of transportation.
Public vs Private Transport – Which is best?
Much will depend on your budget, location and individual requirements, but this month we’re going to look at the pros and cons of private transport and public transport, helping you weigh up which is best for your needs.
- With private transport you’re not at the mercy of a timetable. You set off when you choose and you aren’t relying on anybody else to get you to where you’re going
- You get your own space when you hire a van, allowing you to take whatever cargo you please. On the flipside, you can arrange to pick things up when you choose too, whether it’s part of your job or just a one-off journey
- Flexibility is one of the key reasons people opt to hire a vehicle, as it means you’re your own boss, setting off when you like and amending your journey as you see fit
- The environmental impact of vehicles on the road is nothing new, and while the more people drive themselves around instead of using public transport creates an environmental problem, vehicles are getting more and more efficient with every new model
- The main advantage offered by public transport is the reduction in pollution, creating a cleaner atmosphere through people sharing a single vehicle to make the same journey
- Scheduling of public transport can be an advantage to those who are extra punctual in their everyday lives, catching a bus or a train at the same time every day gives reassurance
- Ticket prices for trains and other public transport services are going up and never seem to fall, the only way to get a deal is to commit to an annual pass, but the outlay is huge and many people don’t want to commit as their circumstances might change
- While public transport isn’t as heavily affected by the rush hour in the morning and evening, it’s still a huge risk for people travelling, as trams and buses can get stuck in gridlock and trains can be jam packed at peak times
- As much as we’d like to think of our transport network as reliable, it is very often not the case, timetables are easily thrown out of sync and the trains are especially notorious for running late or not showing up at all
- Whichever you opt for, make sure that your transport arrangements are reliable, as it can make or break a supply-run, delivery, or pick-up.
Hopefully this has helped you weigh up public vs private transport for your needs. If you’re hiring a van or a light commercial vehicle, you need look no further than Whitgift hire. We provide a whole host of vehicles to choose from, offering you flexibility in your operations – whether you’re moving home or carrying out commercial duties.
Contact our friendly team today for more details or to arrange vehicle hire.